Diet Another Day...I Wish!

“I’m just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.” — Emily Blunt in The Devil Wears Prada

Thursday, September 23, 2004

The “yo-yo” effect


Don't lose sleep over things you cannot change. Wash away guilt. It's not worth it. Strive for balance of health, fitness, nutrition, and happiness. - Denise Austin

Day 3 of my diet went off without a hitch. Someone had brought in a Apple Cinnamon Loaf and I didn't even have a slice. I'm so very proud of myself!

The "yo-yo" effect

The "yo-yo" effect – sometimes called "weight cycling" – happens when people cut their calorie intake, lose a substantial amount of weight but eventually gain it all back. In fact, it’s common for yo-yo dieters to gain back even more weight than they lost.

There are different causes for the yo-yo effect. In many cases, people hoping for rapid weight loss cut their calories too drastically with extreme diet plans and, in the end, hunger and cravings win out.

Another common scenario: Many people reduce their calories without doing even moderate exercise. Without activity, the body tends to lose not only fat but lean muscle mass. And with body mass lost, the body becomes even less efficient at burning calories, it becomes much easier to gain weight, and the vicious cycle continues.
|