Diet Another Day...I Wish!

ā€œIā€™m just one stomach flu away from my goal weight.ā€ ā€” Emily Blunt in The Devil Wears Prada

Thursday, September 16, 2004

South Beach Diet vs. Low-Carb Diet

I have been trying to loose the weight on my own for months now using a low-fat diet but with no success, sure I haven't gained more weight, but I haven't lost any either.

My friend Megan has been on a low-carb diet since the first of the year and she has lost a lot of weight, she looks and feels great. But she has given up a lot of food on this diet, food that she probably will never be able to enjoy again. I have thought about doing the low-carb thing but I confess, there are certain foods that I don't want to give up.

While surfing the internet I came across an article on Prevention.com called South Beach Diet Basics and after reading it I have decided to go on a South Beach Diet starting Monday. It beings with Phase 1: Two Weeks of Restraint - this is the strictest part of the diet and is meant to last for 2 weeks only. According to what I read I could lose up to 13 lb depending on my starting weight. It allows ample portions of protein, good fats, and the lowest-glycemic index carbs needed for satisfaction and blood sugar control. By the time this phase ends, my cravings for sweets, baked goods, and starches will also have vanished. Each day includes six different occasions to eat, so I should never feel hungry. If I do, maybe I'm being too stingy with my portions. Meals should be of normal size, enough to satisfy me, but no more than that. No need to measure most things.

I will keep you posted on my progress.
|